By Katherine Kally, eHow Contributor
It is important to seal marble floors with sealer that is made specifically for natural stone. A good marble sealer protects the floors and the grout between the tiles from staining. Your marble floors should be sealed as soon as possible after installation when the grout is completely dry. You can find sealers for marble floors at your local tile distributor, home improvement store or online tile retailers.
Things You’ll Need
- Spray on marble sealer
- Liquid marble sealer
- Clean the marble floors and let them dry completely before applying the sealer. Spray or pour a small amount of your marble sealer onto a test area of your floor to make sure that the product will not discolor your marble and will work with your floor. Marble flooring is usually polished at the factory, but it still needs to be sealed once it is installed. Marble is a very porous material and will absorb any liquids that are spilled onto it. Acidic stains like mustard or wine are difficult to remove if your floor is not properly sealed.
- Spray the sealer over the entire surface of your marble floors. You can find water-based spray on sealers that will protect the natural color of the stone, create a protective bond against stains and still allow moisture to escape from the interior of the marble. These water-based products will not yellow over time.
- Avoid stepping on the floors for at least three hours after you seal them. You should also avoid putting any type of liquid on the marble floors for 48 hours after they are sealed.
- Pour liquid-based, water-based or solvent-based sealer directly onto the marble floor. Some of it will be absorbed at the point of impact and you can spread the excess with a mop. Continue pouring the sealer and spreading it until you cover the entire floor. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for dry times on the particular sealer you selected.
Tips & Warnings
- Seal your grout and your marble floor with one sealer.
- Wear protective masks and clothing when applying any chemical sealer.